Tuesday 25 February 2014

Masala chai...moving out...and the musings of an urban Indian woman…


"What? Your daughter is shifting? But why?! She has a perfectly good home here with you both around...and...it’s not like she is getting married and moving…or she has a job in a different city and had to leave home right?" Aah... What a wonderful conversation to overhear from the kitchen. I stirred through the masala chai I was preparing for myself while my mom's friend was reacting uninhibitedly to the news my mom had just given her - that her daughter was moving out and was going to live by herself, 10 minutes away from home itself. 

What I thought as completely normal, apparently, wasn't. And I think the lady wanted to incept an unnecessary abnormality of the idea into my mom' s head somehow. Resonating my state of mind, the chai I was stirring suddenly started bubbling and then boiling to the top, almost flowing out of the vessel. Breaking out of my trance I scampered to shut off the stove. I poured the chai out into my mug and took it back to my room, along with my interrupted but still on-going party of thoughts. I began to wonder about the reasons that made the idea of me moving out abnormal or unusual. Hmm... Not married and my work is in the same city so should still be living with parents. Right. So that basically implies that for a 'girl' (and believe me I am rolling my eyes when I say this) any thought, urge or desire and perhaps even the potential and capacity to live by herself without the support of her parents or ''partner" is ridiculous? I wonder what 'natural' parent or human instinct can reason with that ideology. Because, if we must talk natural, then most Indian parents are extremely unnatural. If we switch on discovery, Nat geo or animal planet and observe animal behaviour, we see that the minute the infant has learned to use its own hands, legs, paws, fins etc they are on their own. They learn to hunt for themselves, feed themselves and sustain their lives by themselves. Indian parents on the other hand often feel the contrary. Ever noticed an indian mother proudly saying "my child just cannot eat his food without me"? Or “my child just cannot get ready for school by himself/herself?". Handicapping children by making them dependent is the classic Indian strategy, which is weird because a strategy is often a specific plan or method for obtaining a certain goal or result. What result parents really wish to obtain through such kind of parenting is beyond me. And with us girls, everything just magnifies in its severeness automatically. Often I have wondered about the status of women in India and have usually reserved those thoughts for private contemplation because there has been so much discussion and debate happening around it anyway, especially post Nirbhaya. But maybe blurting it out might just help, who knows. 

A common view I hear from people from my parents’ generation (especially the women), is that “Girls these days just don’t want to compromise. No wonder the divorce rates have gone up so much”. Now, as much as I am aware of the unreasonable demands, expectations and behaviour some girls can have, this kind of statement is not just offensive to women on so many levels, but it is just plain idiotic, largely because it is so ill-informed (if informed at all). I once read a BBC news article (link below) about how divorce rates in India have doubled up. Of the many reasons stated for this phenomenon, one really caught my eye and I quote that here- “Today the Indian male, as opposed to earlier, is a very complex entity. We want our wives to be really progressive, modern, so to say, which is why we married them in the first place. But at the same time we still want our wives to cook food for us. We want our wives to be there when we get back home”. I want to talk about this a little. A lot of us women are leaving the comfort of our homes for studies or for a job and naturally this is going to affect our personalities as individuals, in that it makes us self-sufficient. Under these circumstances, we need to make our decisions and choices, which demand basic independent thinking. We are required to manage our lives-both personal as well as professional- just as any guy who moves out of his home for study or work reasons does. As kids, we girls have very often experienced biases in parenting. Meaning if we have a brother, then he is expected to contribute to the family by running errands ‘outside’ the house like paying bills, perhaps even getting the groceries, which he often does in sulk-mode. We on the other hand were expected to know how to cook and keep the house. The catch here is that since we are also going to school, then college, and then entering work-lives, we also learn how to run those errands ‘outside’ the house, in addition to knowing how to feed oneself and keep the house. 

To be fair, yes not all girls know how to cook and not all girls even like doing so. But the justification or reasoning we use for necessitating this skill-set in a girl, should just as much also apply to a guy and vice-a-versa. If guys are not required to know how to cook and keep the house because well “there are so many tiffin services or mess and canteen facilities and because the ‘bai’ does it for you”, then the same goes for girls as well (I don’t know of any tiffin service or mess that says ‘women won’t be served here’). Similarly, if a girl should know how to cook because “she should know how to feed herself and the family”, then the same logic should apply to guys too. The funny thing is, both the arguments above can be easily refuted if one has ever known what it is to live outside India and especially as a student. Because there, you are your own cook and bai. Tiffin services, canteens or mess and a bai are luxuries we have in India. 

My problem here is with gender stereo-typing. Why does something like cooking and house-keeping need to be gender stereo-typed at all? My sole reason for knowing how to cook should instead just be “self-sufficiency”. Just as I should know how to fix the fuse if it blows, or change a flat tire and have a basic understanding of my vehicle, fix my internet if it crashes down, or fix my laptop even. All because I am an individual. Not because I am a girl or a boy. That has got nothing to do with this, and I don't think it should  have anything to do with this. 

The idea of moving out and living independently was purely based on such reasoning- that of being an individual. I wanted to grow as an individual and no growth happens in one’s ‘comfort zone’. It has been a year since I have been living independently and there is so much more life that I have breathed in already. So much learnt, so much explored. There have been mixed reactions and responses from relatives and family friends and it was interesting and sometimes even entertaining. For most, it was an unusual concept primarily because my parents live in the same city and they found it particularly surprising or strange (or both) that I have grown closer to my parents ‘after’ having moved out. Here the unexplored concept of ‘space’ comes into picture. When kids tell their parents that they want ‘space’ it really is a good thing-for both parties. Because space and freedom, don’t come for free. They always come with responsibility. Youngsters need to understand that this space they crave and desire, needs to be earned. Bluntly put – if you really like the ‘my way or the high way’ slogan so much, then you need to get your ass out of your parents’ house first to discover the ‘I’ before jumping to the ‘my’ part. That check point is necessary. One also needs to learn how to successfully and effectively ‘manage’ this space. No “management” degree or college can ever teach you this by the way, but on the contrary, managing your own life and space successfully will give you an MBA for life, the value of which, principally, is much higher than an MBA earned from any premier institution (because this one will be priceless). 

Managing freedom effectively is the most desirable characteristic in an individual, because it builds one’s psychology for sustainable growth. Isn’t that what we strive for even as a nation anyway? Sustainable growth? Where does India stand in terms of ‘managing freedom’ can be a very good backtrack for us in fact to evaluate ourselves as a society and an even better thought to consider seriously would be whether we can really afford to indulge in gender stereo-typing and gender wars given that only the best accumulation of skill sets will form a productive generation.

So maybe it is time we start changing our perceptions and parenting strategies and adopt those which do not discriminate based on gender. The atrocities that have happened with women in our nation in recent times and which tragically are still happening, have all high-lighted the urgent need for a shift in perspective towards women-she cannot be treated with respect as an individual in the society if she is not perceived as one at home. Let’s do-away with gender stereotyping at home first and the rest I believe will fall in place. Godspeed to that.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12094360)




No comments:

Post a Comment